Tiburon has sparked many a name. From the Tiburon mariposa lily to the Tiburon jewelflower, there are about as many plant species endemic to the town as there are square miles. Spanish for “shark,” the name Tiburon likely derives from the presence of leopard sharks in local waters. This former hotbed for illegal activities like bootlegging has cleaned up its act and is better known for such events as its annual film festival these days. Tiburon’s expansive waterfront and Main Street are also the setting for wine festivals and classic car shows, and thousands of tourists annually take the ferry here to get a glimpse of all the specialness packed into this quaint place.
SHOP When we go shopping it’s generally for adornments: clothing, footwear, purses, other accessories. But often we overlook the canvas — the body we’re covering. Here are places that offer services for the whole package.
1. CHRISTOPHER SALON Besides Christopher’s bi-coastal reputation as a top stylist, his salon is now offering mini scalp treatments for all types of hairdo issues including frizz or damage. christopher-salon.com
2. ENLIGHTEN OPTOMETRY Eliminate the guessing game between option 1 and 2 when you go in for an eye exam. Enlighten’s high definition lenses read your eye print, resulting in a test that’s five times more accurate. Hello, beautiful world. enlightenoptometry.com
3. EVA CLAIBORNE Claiborne not only teaches others around the country her Hungarian lymphatic facial massage, she is one of the few to offer the latest in anti aging technologies, the HydraFacial treatment. tiburonskincare.com
4. OLYMPIC PHYSICAL THERAPY & AQUATICS Knee pain keeps lots of people from reaching their physical zenith, but you don’t have to be one of them. A few sessions at this center’s endless pool will get you up and running in no time. olympicaquapt.com
EAT If you’re looking for a place to celebrate an occasion, seal a business deal or simply have a great meal, Tiburon has your number. From Luna Blu’s afternoon tea service to Caprice’s surf-and-turf nights to Servino’s opera night, special dining spots abound.
5. CAPRICE 2000 Paradise Dr, 415.435.3400, thecaprice.com
6. DON ANTONIO 114 Main St, 415.435.0400,donantoniotrattoria.com
7. LUNA BLU (pictured) 35 Main St, 415.789.5844,facebook.com/lunablurestaurant
8. SERVINO RISTORANTE 9 Main Street, 415.435.2676,servino.com
9. TIBURON TAVERN 1651 Tiburon Blvd, 415.435.6895,lodgeattiburon.com
A Path With a View
10. PLAY If you’re seeking the perfect place to spend a balmy summer day, it’s the 2.5-mile paved and flat Old Rail Trail. The joggers, hikers, families and pets that come here enjoy the path and the killer views of the Golden Gate Bridge and the San Francisco skyline. Starting at Blackie’s Pasture — a well-maintained park with ample picnic tables, benches, water fountains, and a bronze statue of the area’s beloved namesake horse — the path continues all the way to downtown Tiburon.